Wednesday, June 21, 2006

summer days and rice-dough

this morning i got up really early... for the most part, it was cuz i slept way too early last night. and accidentally too. doing homework on my bed has always been risky business. anyway, it was still fairly dark when i got up around 430 and wandered around, but by the time i got back to my room a few minutes later, i could already detect a faint glow outside... enough to not need a light in my room. actually, it looked like the sun might have already risen on the other side of the buildings, but i wasn't sure, so i went to the weather network to get myself some statistics and had to settle for abbotsford, the next big town over. apparently we're getting about 16.5 hours of sunshine, which is about 1/2 hour more than toronto is getting. weeee... however, the sun is often covered by cloud so i guess that evens things out a bit. as i'm typing this, it is 501 on my laptop, and the sun is supposed to rise around 504... though as far as i'm concerned, it's risen already... but the most interesting fact is it is about to officially turn into summer in about half an hour... 526am to be precise. i'm kinda glad to be awake to usher in the event :)

welcome, summer!!! how i've missed you!!!


---

1140pm - wow, what a day. well... not really... except for the fact that i butchered the rice. AGAIN. the first time was kinda funny, but this time i was actually quite depressed and disappointed in myself. so i cooked two cups instead of one and put less water so it wouldn't be so mushy... but then... i dunno what i did wrong. maybe i shouldn't have stirred it so much. maybe i should've just let it boil and not keep checking the top layer and thinking it's still too dry and adding more and more water. aiy. to make things worse, i decided to "fix" it by frying it, thinking in my head that maybe the frying would help some of the water evaporate and make my rice less soggy. so i added some oil to the pot, and then i added the rice... and stirred... and stirred... and stirred... and then i thought adding a couple of beaten eggs would work, but i think that made the rice even more sticky... i also added a whole bunch of other things, but to no avail... i completely butchered it. the rice looked more like mashed potatoes or a stuffing of some sort.
i could've picked it up from the pot with two fingers... it was knead-able. and totally bland cuz i didn't put enough salt. and... ugh. S tried to rectify the situation and so she took some of the rice-dough and spread it onto a baking pan and put it in the oven, and it came out as a kind of rice cracker. heh. it didn't taste toooo bad... i saved the rest of my rice-dough in a container, though i doubt i'll ever eat it. and then S went onto plan B (which she casually joked about at the beginning since neither of us seriously believed i would screw up dinner... go figure..). her beef stir-fry saved the day.

2 comments:

lynnie said...

Haha... the ruining of the rice. Sweet!

Did I ever tell you how I burned rice in the microwave? It was my first summer out on my own in Tartu near U of T. My mom and dad bought me one of those microwave rice cookers. So I measured everything out and I figured it would come out ok but I didn't know how long to put it in for. So I figured if the normal rice cooker took 45 minutes then the microwave one would take an hour. Anyhow... I ended up going out with some friends for the hour while it cooked and when I returned all I could smell was burnt rice. It was charcoal black and even managed to burn the plastic rice cooker thing.

:) Ah the memories!


P.S. I was going to ask you about Carmen did she go to Val's high school?

juice said...

haha, i lost my post before publishing... take 2.

no worries about the rice or the 3 hour chicken.. when you go to rez, you'll get your fair share of culinary escapades :) i'm sure if you cook with me, you'll appear to be the master chef in the kitchen ;)

i'm making assumptions on what you heard about the TWU campus dorm life, but if it's anything that creates a bad witness, it would seem sad.. it's hard enuf to keep your head above water in a secular environment, but if ppl were going there expecting a refreshing environment and still find the same ol things goin on, i dunno.. maybe i'm being idealistic, but i'm also not thinking that Christian brothers and sisters are not susceptible..

anyways, i may not make any sense, hungry :) hope langley is treating you well...