Sunday, March 05, 2006

every woman should...

i believe this is the first time this year that i've sat at my desk in my room to do schoolwork. i dunno how i managed to get away with it for half a semester. actually, no... i'm not getting away with it at all. ohhh, the consequences......

but anyway, here i am. i've reclaimed the laptop from my mom who i'm sure is secretly despising me right now. where else other than the privacy of our own bedrooms can we get any productive work done in this house?? the desktops are useless in our dining room-makeshift-study room. it's too cold, there's just too much going on, too many noises and smells, people constantly walking around, plus there's a baby in the house... way too much distraction for me.

above my desk, i have a poster i bought some time in university... i forget what the company's called. you know those people that come at the beginning of the school year and set up in one of the main halls? like sydney smith or the medsci building at st. george... anyway, i was drawn to this particular poem... maybe cuz of how well it reflected certain aspects of me. it's been on my wall but i can't remember the last time i stopped to read it.

and so i read it just now. i dunno why, but somehow, it never fails to make me smile :)

Every woman should...

know how to use a stick shift;
a plunger;
understand the difference between
don't tell a soul and
don't tell a soul I mean it;
know her mind; change it;
have protection handy;
but not too handy;
use special china;
and special underwear
for no special reason;
over commit; come through;
refuse to do it again; do it again;
be able to discuss first and ten;
have better things to do;
set boundaries; go camping;
grow something; dance crazy all alone;
stare at a phone;
get dressed in five minutes;
be a princess; get over it;
believe in the perfect man;
get over it; read; walk; flirt;
shock; listen; sing; thank God;
be single and like it; a lot;
raise a child; or not;
see a wrinkle and be reminded
of her youth; not her age.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,
I have been to looking to purchase this poem. Can you tell me the company that published, so that I may be able to find it.
thanks so much,
Louise

Anonymous said...

if you find it my email addy is:
LGMRN@comcast.net

Anonymous said...

It is from Portal Publications and is item #ARV-880 Entitled "Every woman should..."

Amanda said...

This is great, I have been looking for this poster for the past year, since it was destroyed in a move. I looked for Portal Publications and the item number and I couldnt find any contact information. Do you happen to have that? If so please email me at amanda.allenevents@yahoo.com. Thank you

Anonymous said...

Viv said

I have been looking for this poem for over a year now. Very romantically it is in the loo at work and I have read it avidly over the last year! Has anyone found out where you can get a copy from? Thanks.

Tasha said...

Has anyone found this yet?! I too have been eagerly searching for this poster! Please contact me at: Tremely@hotmail.com THANKS IN ADVANCE! :)

Anonymous said...

I got mine at HOBBY LOBBY. They have several different sizes.