Wednesday, May 17, 2006

the road ahead

i am contemplating whether to share more personal details about my life instead of just blogging away without giving a real sense of what's happening with me. truth be told, it's just so much easier to post random, light-hearted entries without much growth or depth to them :P i don't even know who reads this blog, save a few. in any case, since i will be going away and i have a horrible track record of keeping in touch with people, perhaps i will begin to blog in a more journalistic fashion and keep you all updated on some of the goings-on in this God-given life of mine.

so i was once again shown mercy this semester. i passed a course when i clearly should've failed. i am indebted to my prof... and of course, ultimately to God. how is it that i managed to get this far in life on His mercy without exhausting it?? i am seriously humbled.

i stumbled across the following poem/prayer by thomas merton while reading through a catholic prayerbook for students. (B, i think you've quoted from this before... or else something similar.) his words echo my own prayer.

---

The Road Ahead

My Lord God,
I have no idea where I'm going.
I do not see the road ahead of me.
I cannot know for certain where it will end.
Nor do I really know myself,
and the fact that I think that I am following your will
does not mean that I am actually doing so.
But I believe that the desire to please you
does in fact please you.
And I hope I have that desire in all that I'm doing.
I hope that I will never do anything apart from that desire.
And I know that if I do this,
you will lead me by the right road
though I may know nothing about it.
Therefore will I trust you always
though I may seem to be lost and in the shadow of death.
I will not fear, for you are ever with me,
and you will never leave me to face my perils alone.

Thomas Merton (1915-1968)

2 comments:

Mere Rhetoric said...

I for one would like to know what you'll be up to in the coming days!
When exactly are you leaving?!

lynnie said...

hey... it sounds like this song from Ginny Owens. I can't remember the title of it off hand but remind me when we talk next and I'll look it up for you.