Wednesday, November 17, 2004

jerry maguire

so i was listening to some of the cds from the exchange last night, and something funny occurred to me. a coupla sundays ago, some of the guys at lunch were firing off all these quotes from jerry maguire ("the most quotable movie ever," as ed puts it) and i just couldn't join in. i suppose it was cuz i didn't care much for the quotes... not that i dun like quotes, cuz if i'm posting them here, i obviously do... but it's really strange what guys find memorable. so many of them can recall a ton of famous one-liners from a ton of movies, and frankly, i dunno how they do it. if famous movie lines were a school subject, i would fail horribly... i can't help it, my brain just refuses to retain these things. so anyway, that sunday i remember thinking to myself, nothing about jerry maguire (aside from tom cruise) gets me all worked up like how those guys were worked up over the quotes... how strange they all are, i concluded. but last night, bruce springsteen's secret garden came on and then it hit me... i remembered how much i love this song... and then all my memories of jerry maguire came flooding back. not so much the quotes, though... mostly the scenes that really moved me, plus all the emotions that came along with those scenes. and all because i heard a song... a song (and not some quote) that triggered something in me and got me into the movie again, if only for a moment. strange how all our minds work so differently... imagine if, on that sunday, instead of them hyping up those quotes to me, i was hyping up the theme song to them ("hey guys, remember when that song came on and then this happened and that happened and it just made u wanna cry?")... they woulda thought me to be the strange one. so in the end, who's strange really... me? them? both? neither?

brains like mine really ought to come with a shutdown option.

No comments: